As a result of federal, state and other local authorities having issued updated directives to take preventive and proactive measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, Asheboro Cultural & Recreation Services announces the following facility updates as the State of North Carolina moves into Phase 2.
- The Recreation Office will continue to operate with restricted access.
- The Recreation Center, Skate Park, and Sunset Theatre are all still closed for all programs and rentals until further notice.
- All playgrounds at City parks and recreational facilities remain closed.
- City swimming pools will remain closed until further notice. Even though Executive Order #141 allows for the opening of public swimming pools at 50% reduced occupancy, there are additional health and facility requirements that must be met in order to open. As the City reviews these additional requirements and evaluates the mitigating risks to opening the swimming pools effectively and safely, the pools will remain closed.
- The Asheboro Municipal Golf Course will operate daily, weather permitting, from 7:30am – 8:00pm. Additional measures will be taken to ensure proper social distancing and the health and safety of staff and patrons, including the closure of the pro shop to the public with the exception of the restroom facilities; cart rentals will be limited to one golfer per cart (two persons from the same family may ride together on the same cart); removal of sand trap rakes; and no removal of flagsticks by patrons.
- Lake Lucas and Lake Reese will operate under normal hours of operation. Private boat launching and bank fishing are permitted as long as social distancing requirements are followed. Additional measures will be taken to ensure proper social distancing and the health and safety of staff and patrons, including the closure of the lake offices to the public; and continued ceasing of boat rentals at Lake Lucas.
- Existing facility rentals through at least the end of Phase 2, including picnic shelter rentals, will be canceled and until further notice no new rentals will be booked. Refunds will be issued to all canceled events.
- All youth and adult athletic practices, meetings, and games continue to be suspended until further notice.
- The Randolph County Senior Games have been canceled and refunds are being issued.
- Randolph County Special Olympic Spring Games are canceled.
Residents may continue to engage in outdoor activities at City park facilities and trails as long as residents comply with social distancing requirements, such as keeping a six-foot distance between individuals. These facilities include the W.W. Thomas Tennis Center, Bicentennial Park, and all of the various neighborhood parks.
The City of Asheboro will continue to monitor this evolving situation and provide updates as appropriate. We greatly appreciate your understanding and patience. Should you have any questions, please call 336.626.1240.