Sewer Service and Emergencies

Sewer Service & Emergencies

Sewer Overflows
Between 8:00am and 5:00pm call Water/Sewer Maintenance at (336) 626-1234 to report a broken main or overflowing sewer. After hours and holidays please call 911. An on-call investigator will be dispatched and a crew assembled if needed. The City is responsible for breaks in water and sewer mains in the street, but the property owner is responsible for breaks on private property.

When a sewer overflows, it is usually the result of inappropriate materials (such as trash and debris or fats, oils and grease) that are placed into the sewer system by City customers. Since fats, oils and grease are lighter than water, they tend to accumulate at the top and sides of sewer pipes and can build up until a blockage occurs. If a blockage happens, the sewer backs up or overflows resulting in property and environmental damage.

Sanitary sewer systems are not designed to be used as trash cans. You can do some simple things that will help protect our City's water quality and maintain the sewer system in Asheboro.

  • DO NOT - Use the toilet as a wastebasket.
  • DO NOT - Use the sewer as a means to dispose of food scraps.
  • DO - Collect grease in a container and dispose of it in the garbage
  • DO - Place food scraps in waste containers or garbage bags for disposal with solid waste, or start a compost pile.
  • DO - Place a wastebasket in the bathroom to dispose of solid waste. Disposable diapers, condoms and personal hygiene products do not belong in the sewer system.

These suggestions can save you money! Most sewer back-ups occur between the house and the City's sewer main, where the property owner is responsible for correcting the problem. Avoiding blockages means avoiding plumbing bills. 

Sewer blockage
Indications of a sewer blockage include plumbing fixtures that do not drain, sewage back up into tubs or toilets, or in the case of a sewer clean out pipe, sewage may be seeping from the sewer clean out pipe. A sewer clean out pipe is a vertical pipe around 4 inches in diameter that is found within the right-of-way. 

When a blockage occurs, the customer should contact the Water/Sewer Maintenance Department at (336) 626-1234, Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., or 911 after hours and on holidays. City personnel will be dispatched to evaluate the situation.

The City of Asheboro will clear blockages that occur in the main sewer line or from the main line to the clean out pipe. Homeowners are responsible for blockages that occur between the clean out pipe and the structure. If there is no clean out pipe at the edge of the property, the homeowner is responsible for blockages that occur anywhere from the sewer main to the structure.

F.O.G. Program
Fats, Oils, & Grease is a major problem for sanitary sewer systems. FOG, also know as Kitchen grease should never be disposed of down the drain. To learn more about the City of Asheboro's FOG Program and ways you can help be part of the solution please visit Technical Services FOG Program page.

Billing Department:
336-626-1201 x 247

Water/Sewer Maintenance Division:
336-626-1234 x 2201

Water Quality Division:
336-626-1201 x 258