Completing a Change of Occupancy

Starting a Business
Completing a Change of Occupancy
This means that you’re starting a business in a location that was last permitted for that type of business (such as opening a restaurant in a building that was previously permitted for a restaurant)

  • Visit City Hall – 146 N. Church Street
  1. Start at the Planning & Zoning Department to complete a Change of Occupancy or Use form. You will need to provide the address of the location you plan to use and state what type of business you are planning to open. There is a $25 fee, which must be paid by cash or check.
  2. While in the Planning and Zoning Department, pick up a copy of the guide to the sign regulations and discuss your sign plans with staff. 
  3. Visit the Fire Inspections Department & the Building Inspections Department to find out about code requirements and to schedule an inspection of your business
  • Contact the Water Resources Technical Service Department concerning requirements for a Wastewater Discharge Permit (for all businesses) and grease control requirements (if you will be preparing food) by calling 336-672-0892 x 217. 
  • If you plan to sell/serve alcoholic beverages in your business you will need an ABC Permit. Contact the NC Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission at 919-779-0700 for details. You also must obtain a city license from the Inspections Department after receiving your state ABC permit. You will need to pay your city license fee by cash or check.

John Evans
Senior Planner
336-626-1201 x 225
Call for questions about:

  • Rezoning a property
  • Conditional and Special Use Permits
  • Subdividing a property
  • Transportation/
  • Pedestrian Planning
  • Asheboro Land Development Plan

Justin Luck
Zoning Administrator/Planner
336-626-1201 x 292
Call for questions about:

  • Opening a new business
  • Building a new building or addition
  • The Asheboro Zoning Ordinance
  • Zoning Variance
  • Historic Preservation

Brad Morton
Planning Technician/Deputy City Clerk
336-626-1201 x 212
Call for questions about:

  • Property information
  • Signs
  • Board minutes
  • Bicentennial Park Bricks